Of what is an investment decision an example?
Investments are risk bearing and, therefore, are a non-programmed decision.
Who among Siddhartha, Nikunj, Vipul and Mukul is the youngest?
1. Vipul is younger than Mukul but older than Siddhartha and Nikunj.
2. Mukul is the oldest.
3. Siddhartha is older than Nikunj.
From 1, we have: M > V, V > S, V > N ...(i)
From 2, we have: Mukul is the oldest ...(ii)
From 3, we have: S > N ...(iii)
Combining (i) and (iii), we get :M > V, V >S > N or M>V > S > N. Clearly, Nikunj is the youngest.
In which year was Sanjay born ?
1. Sanjay is six years older than Gopal.
2. Gopal's brother was born in 1982.
3. Sanjay's brother is two years younger than Gopal's brother who was eight years younger than Gopal.
From 2, we know that Copal's brother was born in 1982.
From 3, we find that Gopal's brother was 8 years younger to him i.e. Gopal was born in 1974.
From 1, we find that Sanjay is 6 years older than Gopal. Thus, Sanjay was born in 1968.
How is 'DATE' written in the code language ?
1. DEAR is written as $#@? in that code.
2. TREAT is written as %?#@% in that code.
3. TEAR is written as %#@? in that code,
Observing 1, 2 and 3, we find that similar letters have similar code symbols at the corresponding places in the code. So, this is direct-coding.
Thus, to find the code for DATE, we need the code for D which can be obtained from 1 only (i.e. $.) and the codes for A, T and E which can be obtained either from 2 or 3 (@, # and % respectively).
Five persons - A, B, C, D and E are sitting in a row. Who is sitting in the middle?
1. B is between E and C.
2. B is to the right of E.
3. D is between A and E.
From 1, the order is : E, B, C or C, B, E.
From 2, the order is : E, B.
From 3, the order is : A, D, E.
Combining the above three, we get the order as : A, D, E, B, C. Clearly, E is sitting in the middle.
What is Suman's rank from the top in a class of forty students ?
1. Suman is 3 ranks below Deepak from the top.
2. Deepak's rank from the bottom is 23.
3. Suman is 3 ranks above Deepak from the bottom.
From 2, we conclude that in a class of 40, Deepak ranks 23rd from the bottom i.e. 18th from the top.
From 1 and 2, we find that Suman is 3 ranks below 18th rank from the top i.e. she ranks 21st from the top.
From 2 and 3, we find that Suman is 3 ranks above 23rd rank from the bottom
i.e. she ranks 20th from the bottom or 21st from the top.
Who is the tallest among six boys P, T, N, D, Q and R ?
1. P is taller than D and N but not-as tall as T.
2. R is taller than Q but not as tall as T.
3. Q is not taller than T and R
From 1, we have: P > D, P > N, T > P i.e. T > P > D > N or T > P > N > D ...(i)
From 2, we have: R > Q, T > R i.e. T > R > Q ...(ii)
From 3, we have: T > Q, R > Q ...(iii)
Clearly, from (i) and (ii), we conclude that T is taller than each one of P, N, D, R and Q. So, T is the tallest.
What is the total monthly salary of Vasu ?
1. Vasu's basic salary is Rs 100 more than Rajan's salary who also serves in Vasu's company.
2. Other allowances drawn by Rajan besides his basic salary are Rs 2000 per month which is Rs 50 less than Vasu's salary.
3. Rajan's basic salary is Rs 1550 per month,
From 3, we have: Rajan's basic salary = Rs. 1550.
From 1, we have: Vasu's basic salary = Rs. (1550 + 100) = Rs. 1650.
From 2, we have: Rajan's other allowances = Rs. 2000 and Vasu's other allowances = Rs. 2050.
Therefore Vasu's monthly salary = Rs. (1650 + 2050) = Rs. 3700.
Four subjects - Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology - were taught in four consecutive periods of one hour each starting from 8.00 a.m. At what time was the Chemistry period scheduled ?
1. Mathematics period ended at 10.00 a.m., which was preceded by Biology.
2. Physics was scheduled in the last period.
3. Mathematics period was immediately followed by Chemistry.
From 1 and 2, we conclude that Mathematics period began at 9.00 a.m., Biology period began at 8.00 a.m. and Physics period began at 11 a.m. So, the Chemistry period began at 10.00 a.m.
From 1 and 3, we conclude that Mathematics period ended and Chemistry period began at 10.00 a.m.
Among P, Q, R, S and T, Q is the second tallest and S is immediate taller than the shortest. Who among them is in the middle when they stand in the order of their heights ?
1. T is not the shortest.
2. R is taller than S but shorter than Q.
3. P ranks third in height above S when all are arranged in the order of height.
From the given statement, the descending order of heights is :__, Q,__, S,__.
From 2, we have the order: _, Q, R, S,__. Thus, R is in the middle.
From 3, we have the order : P, Q,__, S,__. But, according to I, T is not the shortest.
So, R is the shortest. Thus, we have the order : P, Q, T, S, R. So, T is in the middle.